Hello world! Time has sprung forward and here in Brunswick county, we saw a blanket of snow today. Lol…it disappeared almost as quickly as it came! This weather has definitely made some changes this week. A few days ago it was 70° plus and today it snowed. Needless to say, I was all snug and cozy in my kitchen cooking away! That means lunch for the next few days. I hope you all have enjoyed your weekend and spent a little time with friends and family…in the kitchen of course!
I have a 5-year-old cousin who likes to help me in the kitchen when she comes over. She is such a sweetheart and so smart. One day, several months ago she came to visit and I asked her if she wanted to make a cake and she said yes! So I wanted to make a version of her first birthday cake which was strawberry but I wanted to do something different. I looked through the pantry and spotted a jar of maraschino cherries and thought to myself…this will work. I measured everything out and let her pour it in the mixing bowl…when I got to the eggs…she looked at me and said, “Sheca will you teach me how to open eggs?” With that sweet little face looking up at me from the step stool she was on…how could I say no. So of course I said, “Yes Rae, I will show you how to crack an egg.” After the first few tries and egg running on the counter…lol…she was cracking eggs like a pro.
This recipe is the cake that she and I made with a few additions. I hope you enjoy it as my family and coworkers have! Let’s cook!
Va’Raelyn’s Cherry Strawberry Cake
1 box of strawberry cake mix
1 small box of vanilla instant pudding
1/2 c self rising flour
2/3 c milk
1/3 c canola oil
1 tsp of vanilla
12 oz jar of maraschino cherries chopped and save the juice. It goes in the batter.
2 c cream cheese frosting, less if you’re using a 9×13 baking dish.
2 tbs strawberry preserves
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Prepare 3, 8″ x2″ round cake pans or a 9×13 baking dish by spraying it with baking spray. (I use 8″x3″ round pans which gives me 2 larger layers)
- In a mixing bowl combine first 7 ingredients and 1/2 cup of cherry juice and mix well.
- Add 2/3 of your chopped cherries to your batter and mix on low to medium speed. Don’t worry the cherries are tough they can handle the mixer, you don’t need to fold them in.
- Pour batter into desired pan and bake for 25 – 30 minutes. To test use a toothpick in the center of the cake and if it comes out clean, it’s done. If not leave it for a 2-3 minutes and check it again.
- Remove cakes from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Do not sit them on the counter. The heat will continue to cook them.
- Once cooled, spread the strawberry preserves between the cooled layers along with some of the chopped cherries, then icing. Decorate the outside how you like. I added some whole strawberries and cherries.
Please let me know what you think. Enjoy and remember to spread a little love today with your family, friends, and those you don’t know. You never know how much your smiling face helps a stranger! Stay positive and keep cooking!